Thursday, June 10, 2010

It's showtime!

Yet another weekend came and passed. The nights were not satisfactory as my old acquaintance, insomnia, had came back to revisit for 3 nights. The days, however, were another story. Saturday was packed with actions: grocery shopping, overnight packing for a father-son bonding trip and finally a 3-hour event of a piano recital. By the time the guys hit the road, it was well past 4:30pm, and there awaited for them was a 7-hour drive to Pocono, PA. For me, luckily, it was another better end of bargain with a different adventure: 1.5 days of me-time, luxury, freedom.

It was, however, not at all my first home-alone as the good father has had done many times of guys trips in the past. They were to return late Monday afternoon, thus I would have for me 2 whole days of empty nest with zero agenda or responsibility for anyone but myself. I did, though, catch up with the laundry, venture to clean up the messy son’s room and even visit with my dear sister on the phone for 2 hours. The biggest ambition with my no-plan private vacation was a movie in the theatre all by myself. The thought was both intimidating and exciting. Living with 3 men for decades has allowed and trained me to do plenty of things alone such as shopping, cleaning and even watching a chic flick movie in bed. Going to the theatre, however, was not one of them. Though a rebel and contrarian, I am not at all adventurous. Somehow, the idea once popped in was set for action. It was 10:30AM by the time I looked up the movie listing on line. Nope, just missed the first showing, but the next one would be 11:00. I grabbed a jacket and car key and headed out – it’s SHOWTIME!

The movie theatre was but a 5 minute drive. I stepped out of the car all geared up and brave like a new born tiger, surveying his new turf with keen interest. It was another day of 90’s, but the air was dancing joyously under the crispy clean sky. I got the ticket and found the showing room. At the end of the pitched dark walkway, I found myself standing in the midst of my sweetest fantasy: an empty room with no one but me. Not bad for a good start with my new adventure. I grinned to myself, knowing fairly well that this private luxury wouldn’t last long. Surely enough, by the time the movie started, I had myself 5 more partners. Not perfect, but totally acceptable. For one, they were far enough away from me where I was spared by the flashing of the cell phone and their exchanges of comments. Most importantly, I didn’t have to participate. 2 of them were most likely husband and wife, staying quiet with little interactions throughout. I admired the chivalry of the husband to be the only opposite sex in the entire room for a chic flick movie like this. Far behind me were 3 women chattering and laughing lightly at times. Clearly a girl outing event. Rather than feeling like the lonely odd piece, I was gratefully reminded of my good fortune of being exempted by all that engaging and labor. Nearly 3 hours of seclusion in darkness and laziness with zero effort expected both mentally and emotionally, it was almost like a spa! Somewhere in the middle of my blissful exile I was alarmed by the realization that I had actually missed out such indulgence all my life!

Stepping out, I walked back to the leftover of my vacation. The sun was burning bright and high in the early afternoon. I was awake from a little needed rest. My new found joy back there in a room disconnected from both reality and humans was still warming me as the hot air on my face. I called the 3 men to check on their fun at the race track. My life and movie buddy upon hearing my “going to the movie ALONE” let out a sympathetic exclamation: How sad! You poor thing. The empathy was endearing and genuine – he was feeling sorry for me truly. It was ironic and comical as I felt exactly the opposite, tagging with a little guilt in the midst of the joy and pride. As much as I have loved him and his company, I would undoubtedly, gladly and without hesitation go to another movie alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment